Sports

McCloskey to make comeback in Fiesta

Thursday, 26 January 2017

McCloskey to make comeback in Fiesta thumbnailConnor McCloskey will debut his Ford Fiesta World Rally Car at the New Year Stages in County Down this weekend.

KILREA'S Connor McCloskey has committed to doing the first half of the Northern Ireland and BTRDA Rally Championships in the Ford Fiesta World Rally Car Estonia's Ott Tanak used on Wales Rally GB back in 2014.
McCloskey reached a deal with M-Sport towards the end of last year to buy the car which took Tanak and former co-driver Reigo Molder to seventh on the closing round of that year's FIA World Rally Championship.
Saturday's New Year Stages Rally will be the first time McCloskey will drive the car in anger, although the multiple champion got the opportunity to sample the Fiesta at M-Sport's testing facility over in Cumbria.
“It's a relatively new car that has been fully rebuilt. The shell is like new in it," he told Chronicle Sport. "I drove the Fiesta for a handful of miles and I was immediately impressed with the way it handles and the performance of the brakes and the engine. It's a great package. I know it will be a very competitive car."
McCloskey returned to the BTRDA series last year after taking the runner-up spot in 2013 but he quickly decided to call it a day after only the second round - the Malcolm Wilson Rally - when he retired from it.
“We spent the best part of last year away from the sport. We decided to use the time to get the money together to buy the Fiesta. It's a long-term project and if I can score some good results in the second half of this season then I will be happy," he said.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete