Young family saved from carbon monoxide poisoning

Thursday, 8 March 2018

Young family saved from carbon monoxide poisoning thumbnailCarbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ as it is colourless, odourless and tasteless which makes it very difficult to detect. It’s produced by the burning of coal, oil, gas or wood. CC10-08s

THE PROMPT action of a council officer saved the lives of a young Coleraine family, it has emerged.
The officer left an alarm in the house after initially detecting low levels of carbon monoxide gas.
Less than one hour later, the alarm sounded and the NI Fire and Rescue Service were tasked to the scene.
An ambulance crew treated two children for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The family had been using an open fire in their living room and a defective chimney flue is believed to have caused a build-up of the deadly gas.
The young mother was alerted to the presence of the 'silent killer' in her Coleraine home following the visit from a member of Council's Environmental Health department.
In relation to the incident, initial carbon monoxide readings showed 30 parts per million (ppm) in the living room, which raised to 45 ppm in a second reading. The highest reading (67ppm) was detected in the mother's bedroom which she shared with her baby daughter. 27ppm over an eight hour period could cause irreversible long term health issues. 130ppm over an eight hour period could be fatal.
*Read the full story in this week's Chronicle


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete