News

Dealing with dereliction

Thursday, 13 April 2017

Dealing with dereliction thumbnail

Almost 50 derelict properties in Portrush are in the running for rejuvenation grants ahead of the 2019 Open Championship.
Department for Communities revealed that 46 applications were made under the Urban Development Grants scheme, at a public meeting in the resort's Town Hall last Wednesday, April 5.
The initiative encourages regeneration of disadvantaged areas across Northern Ireland. Earlier this year 3m was set aside exclusively for Portrush. In contrast, just 2m was handed out in 2016 for projects throughout the entire Province.
During Wednesday's meeting a department official said the applications included "a number of very good strategic projects."
The grants are part of a 17m funding package that has injected huge momentum to a regeneration strategy begun 10 years ago.
With public realm schemes already complete at East strand, West Bay and Station Square, plus work underway at Lansdowne Crescent, the pace of progress has rapidly increased in the run up to the tournament, residents were told.
*Read the full story in this week's Chronicle

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete