News

‘Thank you for saving our lives!’

Thursday, 26 January 2017

‘Thank you for saving our lives!’ thumbnailThe Obuchowicz family who have been left homeless by a fire at their house on Ballycastle Road.

A PREGNANT Polish woman and her family, who were left homeless following a suspicious blaze at their Coleraine home, have issued a huge thanks to their neighbours for saving their lives.
Marcin and Martyna Obuchowicz, and their three-year-old son Adam, have lost their home and valuable belongings following a devastating fire on the Ballycastle Road, which broke out in the early hours of Sunday morning (January 22).
A quick-thinking neighbour was on the scene as soon as smoke was detected from the Polish family's house, where they have lived for the past year.
Terri Peden, who lives next door to the Obuchowicz family, rushed into her neighbours' house to lift young Adam out of bed and wake Marcin and Martyna to alert them of the fire in their home.
Terri and her husband Sean and family have also been left homeless by the blaze, causing them to seek refuge in a nearby hotel on the day of the fire.
She told The Chronicle: "I just acted how anyone would. I knew there was a child in the house so I just knew I had to go in. I am glad everyone is safe.
“I would like to thank the Polish family for there comments. I'd also like to say a really big thank you to everybody who has helped me and Sean. We are both so grateful."
Martyna, who is almost eight months pregnant, spoke exclusively to the Chronicle to thank her neighbours.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete